Here is a list of signs and symptoms that are commonly experienced with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
1. Chronic cough
2. Shortness of breath that becomes progressive
3. Wheezing sounds when breathing
4. Repeated episodes of bronchitis
5. Frequent respiratory infections
6. Sudden increase in or difficulty in clearing mucous
7. Shortness of breath when laying flat at bedtime
Chronic cough and secretion clearing problems can precede the development of COPD in some people and may be a useful signpost for those people before other symptoms of COPD become a major health problem. However, COPD may advance on people without such tell-tale markers.